The wedding present that started a 20-year fiesta.
In 1996, Arnold Castellanos married the boss’s daughter.
“The boss” owned Sombrero, a Statesboro Mexican restaurant. Impressed with how hard Arnold worked, he gave the couple his blessing – and, as a wedding gift, helped his new son-in-law start his own restaurant in Savannah.
Arnold loved the restaurant business almost as much as he did Magda, his bride. Fortunately, she was supportive of the long hours Arnold spent there, managing, hosting and even waving a sombrero at cars on busy Abercorn.
Four successful years later, Arnold opened the second Jalapeño’s, at 7405 Skidaway, and a year later, another in Sylvania, at 503 West Ogeechee Road.
Happy dishing out his secret-recipe salsa, guacamole, poblanos, and other “delicioso” foods and beverages – and to provide jobs for his valued employees – Arnold kept the company growing.
Today there are seven Jalapeno’s locations:
- 8840 Abercorn, Savannah (the original “wedding gift” restaurant)
- 7405 Skidaway, Savannah
- 107 Charlotte Drive, Whitemarsh Island, Savannah
- 930 Morgans Corner Road, Pooler
- 26 Pooler Parkway, Pooler
- 60 Exchange in Richmond Place Village in Richmond Hill
- 7 East Broughton Street, Downtown Savannah